Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thoughts on Rhetoric

I have a sense that we have forgotten how to speak to one another and I am so saddened by it.  I hear rhetoric that just makes me so sad.  When I was a child I was always taught to state my position clearly without resorting to straw men arguments or foul language.  Quite frankly, I think we have lost the idea of foul language, and that makes me weep.  Sure, I would say that expletives happen and even have a correct context in which to be used, but I believe the words we use form us and our minds.  Words are creative and powerful things that bring to life worlds and cultures.  I have been taught that from my mother's knee. The words you use show who you are.  I teach my boys that.  People will judge you on how you speak and write.  Be clear.  How have we come to use angry words, foul words to each other in hopes of what?  To change some one's mind?!?!  I do not respond to that very well.  In fact, I am right turned off.  I am attracted to, and always have been, well thought out witty arguments.  I like them pithy and funny.  I like an argument to be given in it's essence.  Every group of humans have a collection of people you might not want to have on their side, but too bad. The other side, are not Nazi's.  Everyone thinks the other side are filled with goose stepping Nazi's. They aren't.  My parents would call that making a straw man.  You don't go deep enough into the other perspective if you easily dismiss their point of view. In fact, my grandfather would say that in an argument you should be able to reach one point that you both agree on, and then work your way from that point. My father would say, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."  You can't change some one's mind by yelling or name calling. That just puts the person on the defensive.  You can't work with that.  The most powerful life changing people in the world were nonviolent, peaceful, and defiant. We are all the same, you and I even if we don't like it.  Can't escape that.  It's just one of those things.  Peace to you all.  Be kind out there.  Speak the truth.  Love deeply.

No comments: