Monday, September 13, 2010

Balance

I call these pin hole shots.  When I was in school and learning photography we started with a pinhole camera we build ourselves.  I loved that project because you never knew what you were going to get until the picture was developed. For these I just put my purse camera (my small silly camera)  in the general direction and see what I get. It's the tie-dye of the photography world.  I love the surprise.

Photography makes me think.  I have to say to myself, "What is it about what I am seeing that makes me feel."  Then I have to figure out the framing and lighting.  Ceramics  is a discipline where I don't think with the reasoning side of my brain. I let the back of my brain, my intuiton, take the piece of clay and let it be what it should be.  One part always considers, and the other just lets the intuitive side do its work.

I have to have both sides at the ready when I work.  On one hand, consideration of design is so important, yet on the other hand letting the back of your head take over can free the form and take you to new places.  Balance is the key.  So tricky, balance is, but so improtant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very true!