Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Letting Go of Mama

Letting go of Mama is so not easy.  Tomorrow, I go and decide what goes to donations what won't be used again.  A young woman starting over will be taking some furniture away.  I know she will take care of them.  Some of what we are keeping is fine things that Mama loved.  Some, like the kneading board, are not worth much money, but were so part of Mama and what she did.  I find it hard to explain why using her things she used to cook with is so important to me, but it is.  I have this spatula from my grandma whose handle is broken and I use a rubber band to hold it together.  I would never part with that.  I remember her cooking with that and I feel close to her.  The same is true with Mama's things.  That kneading board is hand made.  It's not complicated, but I know she worked with it for her family.  I've had a conflicts with some of her friends, but as a friend of mine reminds me they too are letting go of Mama.  It's really not the broken snow blower or broken chair.  They just don't want to let go of her.  I know I don't.  I would be rather listen to her complain or give me advice for ten or twenty more years than have to sift through her things. 

No comments: