Sunday, October 30, 2011

Babies and Mothers

A mother came in yesterday to talk about the marker of her baby who died thirty years ago.  Her grief was palpable.  She kept telling me that she and her husband did not have the money at the time to complete the marker and wanted to do so now.  She looked to me like any mother who wants the best for her babies, and who could just not do it at the time, but did her very best.  I could not find all the information we needed for all the details she wanted to know.  We will meet later.  I went out to search out the grave.  I am new and I need to learn the park, and I wanted to have some idea  what kind of marker I was dealing with.  I found it, along with the bouquet with a beautiful white ribbon.  I know the father did not come with her, and I know that the anniversary date was soon.  I cried for her, her baby and for the near loss of my own babies.  Some of the story I had not told my sweet husband until this morning because it was so terrible and scary and near bleak.  I am so grateful for my two boys, and my own life.  Had I had these babies a eighty years ago, I would not have survived the first and if I had, the second child would not have lived.  I live everyday with  miracles, gifts I do not deserve.  Peace to all mothers.

No comments: